Thursday 28 June 2012

Struggling - but still going

I seem to be struggling with my running at the moment which is frustrating - but at least I'm still getting out there and doing it.

Yesterday was running club and we did a road run for 20 minutes doing about 3k.  We went fairly slowly and when we got to the "loop back" points where we could either run back and meet the slower runners or pause and have a rest, I rested rather than run! We covered about 1.7 miles but I was glad to get to the end.  Fortunately my leg didn't hurt but I was VERY hot at the end because the weather was so muggy.

Today I went out again with Mr Locket.  I wasn't planning on going too far as I knew I was already tired from yesterday but it was still quite tough.  I ran 2.5 miles with a couple of minutes walk after the first mile.  It was hot and rainy with a bit of a breeze.  I was too tired to run 5k and when I stopped my leg cramped up again so I spent about half an hour icing it and it seems to be ok now.  It seems as if I really do need to have a rest day in between each run.  Running two days in a row clearly over strains my leg and it complains! 

I read somewhere that your initial progress when you start to run can be really impressive - like the difference between not being able to run at all and then running for half an hour a few weeks later - but then you get to a point where you are not improving as quickly which can be frustrating.  I think I'm at that point now - I can run 5k (most times!) and my speed is gradually improving, but I'm not making any vast increases in distance or time.  Maybe it's ok that I am just consolidating my running - or maybe I need to try to push myself further.

No comments:

Post a Comment